Pages

Friday, January 21, 2011

My grandma

I pity my grandma.

She lived a hard life!

Now that she is old...she is still living a hard life. Not because she can't have a good life. She is so trapped in the past, she can't allow herself to lead a better life. No matter how we try to advise her...she can't change.

She has a maid, she say the maid is lazy and many many other things. For so many year, no maid has satisfied her. She said she does not need a maid but we all know she does!

She has money but refused to use them. She still tries to save every penny.

She keeps rain water to mop the floor. Her floor is dirty all the time even though it is mopped every day.

She dilutes the washing detergents so that it can be used for a longer time. Her dishes are usually still oily.

She switch off the lights and fans even though you still need it.

She wants to give away her fake jewelleries (some rusty and broken) as gifts to other people. To her it is valuable but to others, nobody wants them.

She eats half her rice and want to keep the other half for others to eat. Her concept is to save but nobody wants to eat her leftover rice.

She tries to get free things from other people. It's her way to save. She brought up 5 kids that way!

She denies she is ever wrong.

She is old.

Everyone is irritated with her. I am also guilty of that. I should not. I will regret it.

But it is easier to be sympathetic when you are an outsider. When you are dealing with her everyday, I can understand it is easy to feel frustrated. Infact, the feeling of frustration, anger, dealing with someone old can't be controlled even if you want to so much. Sometimes, your anger just burst out when dealing with them

So, to everyone out there who is caring for someone old, you hold an important responsibility. And I know it is not easy. It is ok to feel frustrated and angry. But know this, you are doing a noble job. You are holding a responsibility that many others don't even want to or just can't do. You are doing this noble task of caring for someone to have a few more beautiful years in their life. It is noble, it is to be appreciated and know that you are doing this out of the goodness in your heart. You are good.

So despite all the issues with my grandma's behaviour that have everyone extremely frustrated with her sometimes but I know everyone is doing their best. It is a matter of putting the frustration aside and seeing the goodness in this old and frail person.

I know the goodness in my grandmother. I know she wants the best for everyone. She has done a lot for me. She has loved me. She is not perfect.

She is my grandmother.

1 comment:

stella said...

Love your blog so far! Great writing style and content. I read that last post thinking of my mother in law. Sounds just like your grandma. Save, save, save. She is a wonderful woman with many of her own quirks!

and your farting post- so true adn so funny!

drinkingstella.blogspot.com