Pages

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Etiquette Bell explained....


Sigh....I decided to google and search for the answers.

I found 2 explanations. And apparently this etiquette bell exists in Korea too. Here's what I found :-

"If you haven't figured it out: you press the 'etiquette bell' when you are afraid that, just perhaps, some inelegant sound may just reach some other woman's ears. When this happens, or, actually before this happens, you press the 'etiquette bell' and the sound of gently whirling water surrounds you, masking any unpleasant noise. The sound, in fact, is somewhat like the whirling water sound that occurs when you actually flush the toilet. "



One more explanation :-

We are going to tell you about one innovation in Korean public toilets. Koreans have the greatest respect for all the aspects of visiting a toilet. For instance, for such a delicate topic as emitting sounds. To cover the confusion both of those in the toilet cabin and of those outside, they have invented a special “etiquette bell”. This is a nice box with a dynamic loudspeaker attached to the cabin wall. It is provided with a large button. You can press this button when necessary and the sound of water flowing from the flush tank is emitted. In half a minute the sound will die away. You may repeat this operation if necessary.
The “copying” principle was used in this case and an ecologically safe solution was obtained: why spending pure fresh water if only one property – sound – is needed. We use sound and save water.


I was kinda right.....this was my 3rd guess. 3) To distract the noise of peeing and shitting by continously ringing the bell....

What I did not figure out was that it was the sound of flushing water. Yeah, in all my trips to Japan, I often just wondered what it was but never dared to push the button. Just incase, it was for emergencies. I don't want people knocking on my toilet door wondering what's wrong with me if I rang the bell.

Now, that I know what it is for, I will make sure I practise the right etiquette by pushing the button when an "inelegant" sound should appear when I am doing my "business"

No comments: