Pages

Sunday, November 15, 2009

SMART ALECS out there ANSWER THIS

I know the Singaporeans know all this already - I meant the questions, I don't know if you all know the answers or should I say how to come up with the answers.

Anyway, just recently these Mathematics questions which is part of the Primary 6 test created a big huuuhaaa in Singapore as parents complain about the high level of difficulty in the questions. Remember Primary 6 means students that are just 12 or below.

If you have what it takes...please attempt to answer. As for me, I am first to say, I give up. Too lazy to use my Malaysian brain.

Question 1
Jim bought some chocolates and gave half of it to Ken. Ken bought some sweets and gave half of it to Jim. Jim ate 12 sweets and Ken ate 18 chocolates. The ratio of Jim’s sweets to chocolates became 1:7 and the ratio of Ken’s sweets to chocolates became 1:4. How many sweets did Ken buy?"

Question 2
String of 2 big balloons is 90cm
String of 5 small balloons is is 1.2m
If both strings are of the same length, there would be 105 more small balloons than the big balloons. How many balloons are there altogether?


Question 3
Mei and Lin were in a bicycle race. Mei was travelling at a constant speed of 20km/hr and they both did not change their speed. When Lin completed half the race, Mei was 3.5km ahead. Mei completed the race at 10.45am. What time did Lin complete the race?

Don't cheat. :)

1 comment:

Sheila said...

old brains too rusty....:)